Monday, June 17, 2013

You can't know

I've been playing with the idea that you can't know what you don't already know and can't do something that you didn't think to do a lot in sessions lately.  And your like what are you talking about?
Well many of my clients come into sessions with me with this "I should of..." idea rolling around in their head.  Most of the time what "they should of" done didn't occur to them to do at that particular moment in time.  And most of those times what is now occurring to them to have done back then is something they learned later. 
However this came to play in real life in my life one night.  A friend was upset about a particular situation, that was happening right at that moment.  She has knowledge of the situation I do not.  She has experience and education in an area I do not.  (Trust me I'm NOT going back to school to learn what she knows and change careers.  She is an amazing expert in her field and it's her field to know not mine)  However I kind of got caught in the cross fire and got a lecture about the situation.  And amazingly enough it upset me a tad but not very much.  I instantly realized I can't know what I don't already know.  I'm not an expert in what she is an expert in, the situation involved some odd responses from someone that were new and well odd to me.  I don't have experiences in responding to those kinds of responses so how am I to know the perfect way to react?  I can't know that.  Can I learn from my friend and her expertise, yes.  Is getting mad at me for not knowing what I don't know going to magically make me an expert in that area...no.  Does it make me more of an expert on that topic to be mad at myself for not knowing what I don't know...no. 
Bottom line you can't know what you don't know, you can't do something you didn't think to do, nor can you do something you don't know how to do.  Like can you repair an airplane engine?  Likely no.  If I get mad at you for not being able to do that can you then magically be an airplane engine mechanic, no.  And if you get mad at yourself will you then magically be an airplane engine mechanic...no.  So you just can't know...everything.  Neither can I.

Be well, Be happy-
Tara S. Dickherber, LPC
Senior Certified Practitioner in Rapid Resolution Therapy®
573-754-0348
tara@mylifecoachtara.com
Pin It

No comments: