Monday, September 9, 2013

Haunting Childhood issues

I've recently been asked a few times by a few different people about given my training and specialty in trauma treatment if I can effectively work with adults who survived childhood abuse.  I'll be honest here I initially found that question odd.  Why do I find it odd?  Because childhood abuse IS trauma. Simple answer is Yes I do.  
If you or someone you know has been through something that continues to haunt them days, months, or even years later- Yes I work with that.
What do I mean by being haunted by your past?  Memories coming up and creating painful emotions, continued reactions to things that you would like to handle differently, habits that have started since that event (nail biting, picking at your skin, etc) some traumatic events create phobias.  Like for example car accidents may create a phobia with driving.  A bad experience flying can create a phobia of flying.  (Please note not all phobias are a direct result of something traumatic)
Does this help better explain feeling haunted by your past?
Imagine being free of those haunting, problematic emotions, thoughts and behaviors?  How freeing would that be?  It is possible...

Be well, Be happy-
Tara S. Dickherber, LPC
Senior Certified Practitioner in Rapid Resolution Therapy®
573-754-0348
tara@taralpc.com
Pin It

No comments: